Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Genius of Stephen William Hawking

October 26, 2008


Humbly tucked in a small corner on page 19 of my daily newspaper was a small news item about Stephen Hawking. It said that Stephen Hawking would retire in January next year as the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics from the Cambridge University. Apparently the editors of the newspaper did not think much of Hawking or the distinguished Chair he has occupied since 1979.

Stephen William Hawking is a genius. He occupies a unique place in the pantheon of 20th century scientists. Lucasian Chair of Mathematics in the Cambridge University has a distinguished history of more than 300 years. It was occupied by the likes of Isaac Newton, Charles Babbage and Paul Dirac. It is arguably the most famous academic chair in the world.

Hawking is one my favorite heroes in the field of science. I have repeatedly read his best seller A brief History of Time (1988). Every time I complete reading it my understanding of the physical universe becomes better. His beautiful book On the Shoulders of Giants, the Great Works of Physics and Astronomy (2002) gives an interesting peep into the contemporary history of Physics and Astronomy.

Hawking has always been fascinated with the ultimate reality of physical universe. Along with the celebrated English physicist Roger Penrose, he has demonstrated that the General Theory of Relativity implies that space and time have a beginning in Big Bang and an end in Black Holes. His fundamental research includes quantum cosmology, Big Bang theory, structure of the universe, and Black Holes.

The most attractive thing about Hawking’s persona is his stubborn will to live. He has been suffering, since he was 21, from a serious disease called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). It has crippled his neuromuscular control. He cannot move his limbs normally. He speaks through a computer that he is able to operate by his eye and lip movements. But that has not prevented him from wanting to travel in space. .

He has a very practical attitude on his disease. In an interview with The Guardian (UK) on September 27, 2005 he said, “It is a waste of time to be angry about my disability. One has to get on life and I haven't done badly. People won't have time for you if you are always angry or complaining." He is a supreme example of mind's victory over body. The only comparable example which pops up in my mind is that of Helen Keller.

In spite of being extremely busy with his research he retains his concern for mankind. He spoke convincingly at George Washington University on April 21, 2008 about the desirability of colonizing space. The topic of his lecture was ‘why should we go into space’ and the occasion was the 50th anniversary of NASA. He has speculated on the existence of life outside solar system.

Stephen Hawking traveled in a zero-gravity flight of a special aircraft arranged by a Florida-based private company. He experienced eight bursts of weightlessness each lasting 25 seconds. He thoroughly enjoyed the fun. He observed later, “Many people have asked me why I am taking this flight. I am doing it for many reasons. First of all, I believe that life on Earth is at an ever increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster such as sudden nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus, or other dangers. I think the human race has no future if it doesn’t go into space. I therefore want to encourage public interest in space.”

Hawking has a quaint sense of humor. He took an interesting bet with Kip Thorne, the eminent theoretical physicist. In the 1988 edition of A Brief History of Time, he says, “This was a form of insurance policy for me. I have done a lot of work on black holes, and it would all be wasted if it turned out that black holes do not exist. But in that case, I would have the consolation of winning my bet, which would win me four years of the magazine Private Eye. If black holes do exist, Kip will get one year of Penthouse. When we made the bet in 1975, we were 80% certain that Cygnus was a black hole. By now, I would say that we are about 95% certain, but the bet has yet to be settled.”


Hawking lost the bet. Cygnus was proved to be indeed a black hole. Like a gentleman, that he is, he honored the bet and gifted one year's subscription of Penthouse to Thorne.

Hawking has had two divorces. It caused him emotional trauma, but that did not daunt his indomitable will to live. He travels all over the world delivering lectures and attending scientific conferences.

He remarks with his characteristic lucidity, “My goal is simple. It is complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.”

Sounds like he belongs to the tribe of Newtons, Galileos and Einsteins. Is it a matter of sheer coincidence that he was born exactly 300 years after the death of Galileo?

2 comments:

Art and Poetry said...

This is a good post on Stephen William Hawking! I have one of is books next to me. I an here because you are interested in Quantum mechanics I am only an artist but I have a theory on the two slit experiment. It would be nice to know what you think?
I have linked Newtons laws of motion with gravity and time.

All the best nick

Suraj Jain said...

Thanks, Nick, for your generous words.

I would love to know about your theory about the two-slit experiment.

Also please let me know about your linking of Newton's Laws of Motion with Gravity and Time.

Suraj Jain